Sunday, July 5, 2015

Arc review: George by Alex Gino


George by Alex Gino. 195 p. Scholastic Press/ Scholastic Inc., August 25,, 2015. 9780545812542. (arc courtesy of the publisher)

The Interwebz have been abuzz about this little book with the absolutely perfect and gorgeous cover. The only thing that kept me from writhing with jealousy as I read post after post raving about this book was the fact that I knew I was going to a Scholastic Literary Event at ALA Annual and that George would be in my little red bag. In fact, part of George was performed as a reader's theater and the scene that was chosen was quite powerful.

George is a fourth grader who has a single-mother and older brother, Scott. George also has a secret. George is a girl. She's a bit of a loner and a bully magnet but she has a best friend in Kelly. She really loves her mother but hates it when she says things about what a great boy "he" is. Because she isn't. And this secret needs to come out.

What a heartfelt, heartbreaking and hopeful story! I am so happy to have this to add to my middle school collection. It is an important addition. The story unfolds naturally. George is likable and endearing and brave. Hopefully, young readers will contemplate the message that so plainly and beautifully graces the back cover: Be who you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment