Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Pen by Christopher Myers


My Pen by Christopher Myers. 32 p. Disney-Hyperion, March 10, 2015. 9781423103714. (Review from fng courtesy of publisher.)

A young boy celebrates his imagination, finds comfort in and expresses himself through his pen. 

When I heard this read aloud during the Midwinter Disney preview, I fell immediately in love. I glanced back at the table containing arcs and fngs; saw one fng of My Pen left, and scooted out of my seat to snap it up. Since then, I have reread it many times, slowly poring over the rich, intense images that flowed out of Christopher Myers' pen. 

The detailed pen and ink illustrations are at turns, rich, luscious, humorous and poignant. Is it just me, or does the giant in overalls bear a striking resemblance to his dad? I rushed to share it with not just the art teacher, but language arts teachers and the ELL teacher as well. I see many fine uses for this evocative and powerful story in classrooms and during story time. Not only will I need to purchase multiple copies for my library's collection, but it's my new gift book.

Myers always surprises me and this one is a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment